History of FBCS
A large representation of community residents responded to a call to establish a foundation for all seven schools in the Bedford Central School District. Of those, a smaller working group continued to meet for 12 months to envision, design and create the legal and governing structure for the Foundation for Bedford Central Schools. In the winter of 2012, this task was complete and the Foundation was fully authorized to conduct its not-for-profit business.
In the spring of 2013, the Foundation received its first financial donation. With these funds, the governing board authorized the creation of a district-wide database of alumni and supporters with the help of community volunteers.
Since the 2012/13 school year, the Foundation board has been working with BCSD administrators to identify projects that will make education more engaging and modern in all seven schools.
History of Our District
The Bedford Central School District was created in 1954. It unites the educational experiences of five local elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. There are four towns that benefit from the pulled resources of the District: Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, Mount Kisco and Pound Ridge.
In the early 1800’s, Bedford was one of the first communities to take advantage of state funding to provide public education to local children. Completed in 1829, The Stone Jug Schoolhouse on the Village Green in Bedford is a landmark of the community. Over nearly 200 years, the area schools have grown, been rebuilt, condensed and reconfigured into the seven schools that exist today. From one-room school houses, our five elementary schools have grown into thriving educational facilities each serving an average of 400 students annually from Kindergarten through fifth grade.
The creation of Fox Lane Middle School in 1966 was hailed as an innovative move for its time. Its model focused primarily on small, active learning communities specific to the needs of students in grades six through eight.
Fox Lane High School was the first building erected after district centralization and it opened in 1957 on its current campus. In the early 2000’s the building underwent a major renovation, bringing it to modern standards of secondary education.